Monday 29 May 2006

advice

good band holiday monday to all in the U.K and a happy memorial day to friends in the U.S

i could really do with some advice from all my good friends.

As you all know Bethany has a link family  who has been having her for the past 8 years. She has adopted the granny as her own grandma. unfortunately grandma is very ill with cancer. I am at a loss as to how to explain the subject of death with Bethany. I do have to tell her, its not fair on her or the link family not to, but i'm at a complete loss as to how i should go about it.

I myself do not cope with death at all....the last person who died, my nanna, was the most terrible time of my life, it caused me to have a breakdown big time, and for a while i really was in a bad way. since my nanna died i have been even worse when it comes to dieing. i have spent all weekend upset about the "grandma" and felt so bad yesterday when i dropped bethany off as i cried like a baby....not good....and not helpful to the link family.

Have got a lump in my throat now.

So if any of you have any good advice please shanre it with me. thanks

I am really behind on my journal comments so i appologise for that, my dad is laying a nice new floor for me in the kitchen/diner so i have been helping him.

well done to Jan for her featured journal!!!!!

hugs for Joyce in the U.S. hope you son is getting a bit better.

Be strong to sara and Jelly...purple is a cool colour!

hello Daz!!!!!!! ( your famous now mate!)

love you all lots and lots

JOANNE

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is never easy in any circumstances.  When Becky was little I explained to her that sometimes people get very very sick.  So sick that they have to go and visit God so that he can make them better.  Sometimes God likes them so much and they are so happy with Him that they decide to stay.  It does not mean that they do not love us and they will still look after us from Heaven.
I hope that this helps

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Hiya Joanne, oh crikey a predicament or what? If I was you, I would take Bethany to somewhere quiet and tell her that 'granny' is poorly and it is hoped she may get better but also to try and prepare her for the inevitable. Just explain that people get poorly and sometimes don't get better but with love they sometimes can. It is not easy explaining to a child but hopefully if you can do it in a manner that does not appear too upsetting - she will probably cope with it a lot better than you expect, children are very good with emotions. You could always say granny is preparing to be a very special star in the sky, to watch over Bethany as she grows up. Whatever way you do it Joanne, I am sure you will handle it well! Love Joan

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,
I loved both of the comments below me...but in my own thoughts ...the right words will come to you when the time is right...thank you so much for your kind words about my son....he is having a rough day today...so I need to run.  Hope you have a beautiful week ahead ...give my love to the kids.  Hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your good wishes dear ,Lucky girl having a new floor,and thinkJeannette and Joan have summed things up pretty,There is not alot Ican add ,blessings ..Jan xx

Anonymous said...

In response to your question about coping with a death...it's part the "circle of life."
All creatures as well as people live and die.  Yes we miss those who pass on, but we also can cherish their memory with pictures and retelling of stories and precious times spent with those loved ones. I cherish the memories of my mom and dad, grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends as I do with lost pets.  All held an important part in my life and will be remembered as I share stories and pictures of events with my grandchildren.   Linda in Washington state

Anonymous said...

Oh, so sorry to hear about the Grandma of Bethany's link family :o(
I wouldn't know what to say to my J either, but reading the other comments I really liked what Jeannette said.  I'll store that in the back of my mind and hope I don't have to use it for a long long time.
((((( thank you honey, purple is a cool colour ;o)))))
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

That is terrible news :-(  I'm so sorry to hear that!!  I hope you can find some way of telling her, I have no suggestions I'm afraid coz I don't have children but to be honest with her has to be the best way??!!