Monday 12 September 2005

i'm so annoyed

before i start to rant and rave there is something i want to say. WELL DONE JEANNETTE. Jeannette managed to get to her docs appointment today and i'm really pleased that she managed it. Jeannette is the reason i started my journal and has become my mentor, giving me praise and advising on what i should do in my blog,

Now to the main reason that i felt the need to write this piece today, i hope you don't think it is silly. WHY is it that when i go into a shop and use my debit card to pay for my purchase that 99% of the time the cashier doesn't check that the signature matchs the one on the card?? I know that most people now have a chip and pin card so therefore this doesn't affect them, but for the minority of us that still have to sign surely this is really bad practice. years ago when i worked in a shop we would of been sacked for not using the correct proceedure, but these days people just don't seem to care which for some reason really irritates me big time. I have in fact in the past purchased goods and not even finished signing the slip before the cashier has verrified the card as being mine. why don't you pay with cash then if it makes you so cross,i hear you cry...well why should i? i would rather my purse be stolen with the card in it than no money....as i would never be able to recover stolen money and can cancel my card in an instant. I hope you don't tyhink i am being silly about this...i just had to get it off my chest!

apart fom that i haven't really done much today just the normal things...kids to school then the day with just my little baby bryce. we went and saw my bestest friend in the world this afternoon, Clare. are mums used to be good friens when we were little so it is kind of nice that we are so close now! I have put are picture up for you too see. Clares on the right and i'm on the left of the picture. told you i'd do it clare but you didn't belive me did you!!

i took my "friend" to meet my parents yesterday so that was a bit scarey! they didn't say anything bad about him today when i saw them so i expect that is a good thing! they have gone off on a boat trip today with my dads old work mates. it is for the retired members so i think my mum was a bit put off as she is only 57, never mind mum you might get to see a few ducks!

well i must go now kids all in and will start moaning for food soon! i might come back later...my mind is full of things that i would like to share with anyone who does me the honour of reading my journal...if anyone has any good questions about my lifre and family why don't you put them to me and i will do my best to try and answer them.

bye for now...happy thoughts to all of you

JOANNE

xXxXx

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joanne - I once used my husbands cheque book by accident - signed my name - nobody noticed it was different initials - I noticed it myself had used it half dozen times  - The bank transfered his cash back (sorry to say)...but I agree they should check. does you good to have a moan.....Good sign when parents don't remark on your friend - I'm sure they would - I know I would if things wern't right ...Ally

Anonymous said...

I think you mean you are on the left of the picture lol!  Great shot.  I know what you mean about signatures.  When I shopped they never checked mine either and on a couple of occasions I have paid cheques into the bank where our surname has been wrong and that has never been queried either!  So much for security.  Thank you for the well done, I was seriously scared I would not do it but I have had so much support from journallers, how could I let you all down, that is what I kept thinking!  

Anonymous said...

Great picture. I see a cute little face peeking up behind the couch LOL.
I don't use debit cards but I can see where you are coming from. Good that your parents went on a boat ride and it's good they seemed to like your friend. Have a good evening. Helen

Anonymous said...

NICE PICTURE OF YOU AND YOU FRIEND i LIKE THE LITTLE FACE PEEPING BEHIND THE COUCH,AS YOU SAY SO MUCH FOR SECURITY JAN XX

Anonymous said...

thanks all for commenting on the little face behind the sofa...that was my boy charlie trying to get his mug in on the photo!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,

I`m here via Jeannette`s journal.  I do so agree with you about cards.  I have a mastercard and I have noticed, like you that my signature is most often not checked.  I have chip and pin now, but some shop still ask me to sign, still not checking!

Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

Nice pic of you and your friend, how lovely that you've known each other so long too :o)  Glad the meeting between your parents and your 'friend' went well yesterday, that's a good sign!!
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

You are doing a great job on your journal. I always like to hear a little bit about the area people live in. Being disabled I can only travel through the lives and eyes of others.

Anonymous said...

They should definately check...so easy to forge people signatures. I think they rely on the system flagging up any stolen cards, but of course you have to have reported them missing first

Anonymous said...

I like your journal - I'll keep reading :-)  that's a nice pic of you and your mate!!  I have to say I've noticed that they don't really check the signature - really weird that!!  Glad your 'friend' got on alright at your parents!!

Anonymous said...

I hate it when they don't check the signature on cards as well...............jules xxxxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jules19642001/Itsmylife/

Anonymous said...

I agree on the debit card issue...it happens here too, where they do not even bother to check...you just use and go.  I check and recheck to make sure I have all my cards...credit and debit cards...if anyone EVER got a hold of any of them, you can count the crooks know all the right places to go, where they do not check signatures!  Great rant!  Got to catch up on your journal entries...hugs,  Joyce